1. Age determined on July 31 of the current season.
2. All players must be at least 18 years of age and not a member of a high school team.
3. Only properly registered players may participate in sanctioned league games. Violations of this rule, including but not limited to the use of non-registered players, will result in a permanent suspension of the team captain/team coach.
Players are responsible for their own primary medical insurance. The VWSL will purchase liability insurance and supplementary medical insurance through the MDCVSA.
All players must have current and valid identification with them at all games. Team reps may also vouch for their players but all players at games MUST be on the current roster.
1. Commission of Fraud by a player, coach or recreation club using an assumed name, falsifying a birth certificate or roster, or giving false information to an official or the VWSL may result in the following: Permanent suspension for the party that falsified information and disqualification of the team for one full season.
2. Each team must bring a copy of their roster to each game.
3. A team may find a sponsor and advertise said sponsorship provided that the nature of the sponsor’s business of the advertising brings no discredit to the game, the team or the VWSL.
1. VWSL registered players may play for other teams as an “emergency” guest player in an attempt to play the game.
2. A team may use a maximum of 4 guest players.
3. A team using guest players must have at least 7 of their own rostered players for the game to count.
4. Playoffs: teams may only use players from teams that are playing in consolation games.
1. Shin guards are mandatory and must be covered completely by socks.
2. Rubber soled or rubber cleated shoes only.
3. Each team is required to have an official uniform with numbers. Failure to comply will result in a forfeit of the game with a score of 1-0 for the opposing team if the game is not played. If a color conflict arises because a team failed to tell an opponent of their change in jersey color, the team that changed colors will be assessed any penalties resulting from the color conflict whether or not they are the home team. In this case, the other team will not be penalized.
4. All jewelry is prohibited.
5. If the score is tied at the end of a regular game, the game will be recorded as a tie.
6. Players or coaches ejected with two yellow cards are automatically disqualified from the team’s next match. If ejected with a red card they are disqualified from the team’s next 2 matches.
7. Games scores will not be accepted with more than a 7 goal advantage. This is a difference of 7 goals between the teams. One full half shall be played as well as 20 minutes of the second half to give the disadvantaged team a chance to catch up and for the game to keep going. If no score has been achieved by the disadvantaged team at the end of the 20 minutes of the second half, the game is called at that time.
8. Each game will be played in 40 minute halves with a 10 min half-time. This can be changed if both teams agree to playing 20 minute quarters with 3 min water breaks inbetween.
9. A team forfeits under the following conditions:
· At the scheduled start of a game, if any team has fewer than 7 acceptable players.
· If a team has fewer than 7 players at any time during a game.
· A team uses ineligible players.
If both teams do not have enough players, the game will be considered not played and will not be made up. The game can be played as a scrimmage.
10. Slide tackling will not be permitted under any circumstances. If players do slide tackle and contact is made, the ref will issue a direct kick from point of contact on the field to the opposing team. If contact is not made, the ref will issue an indirect kick from point of contact on the field to the opposing team. A yellow card will be issued to the offending player in either case.
11. If a game is abandoned due to weather conditions, the score of the game at time of abandonment will stand. The game will be played in its entirety at a later date, if fields and referees are available.
12. If a game is abandoned due to player, coach or spectator behavior, the VWSL will investigate the incident within seven days of notification. They will then determine if the game is to be replayed or the official outcome of the game. The VWSL can also bring forth sanctions against any team or individual, which may include suspensions for the rest of the season and the following season or disbanding a team.
13. FIFA Laws of the Game will be followed with the following exceptions:
· Substitutions are unlimited and may be made with the consent of the referee at the following times:
a. Prior to a throw-in in your favor
b. Prior to a goal kick by either team
c. After a goal by either team
d. After an injury by either team when play has stopped.
e. At half time
f. A player receiving a yellow card may be substituted before play resumes and the other team may substitute an equal number of players.
14. The designated home team is responsible for a game.
Player, Coach and Team Discipline
Disciplinary action taken by the VWSL may include reprimand, suspension, fines or forfeiture of the game, player or coach suspension from the league for the remainder of the season and the following season or permanent expulsion from the league.
1. A coach or player ejected from a regularly scheduled game for a technical infraction (such as violations of the rules) will be suspended for the next two regularly scheduled games.
2. A coach or player ejected from a regularly scheduled game will be suspended for the following game which the team is scheduled. Cancelled games do not count towards the fulfillment of any game suspension. Any player sent off from the final game of the season shall be suspended from the appropriate number of games of the following season.
3. The VWSL and Valley AFC reserve the right to impose a suspension or increase suspension times up to and including a lifetime suspension.
VWSL standings will be determined on the following basis in order:
1. Record of wins, ties and losses (3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie and 0 points for a loss).
2. Goal differential (goals scored minus goals allowed)
3. Fewest goals allowed
Resolving ties in playoff games. The following will decide the match:
1. Overtime will be 2 - 5 minute periods with substitutions allowed. Overtime will NOT be sudden death.
2. If teams remain even at the end of overtime the game will be decided by the FIFA, Kicks from the Penalty Spot Procedure as outlined in the Laws of the Game; using only the players
remaining on the field at the end of overtime.
1. Anytime Lightning is visible, then all players, coaches, fans and umpires should Take Shelter Immediately!
2. Flash (Bang) Method – Count seconds between lightning flash and thunder and divide by 5
– this gives the distance of lightning in miles. If count is 30 seconds or less Take Shelter Immediately!
3. The Referee and VWSL should instruct all players, coaches and fans that danger is present and they should seek shelter immediately. Safe places for shelter would be fully enclosed metal vehicles with windows up, enclosed buildings or the low ground. Seek cover in clumps of bushes. Unsafe shelter areas include all nearby outdoor metallic objects like flag poles, fences, high mast light poles, metal bleachers, etc. AVOID water, AVOID open fields, AVOID using the telephone.
4. If you feel your hair standing on end or hear “crackling noises” you are in lightning’s electric field. Immediately remove metal objects (including baseball cap), place your feet together, duck your head and crouch down with hands on knees.
5. If anyone is struck by lightning CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY. People who have been struck by lightning do not carry an electrical charge and are safe to handle. Apply CPR immediately if you are qualified to do so.
6. Wait at least 30 minutes after the last lightning flash before resuming activities.
7. If a game is called due to the lightning, the score will be recorded as is.
8. If a game is cancelled before starting due to lightening, each team will receive a tie and the game will NOT be made up at another time.